Happy New Year! And, happy birthday to Money Laundering Watch, which is entering its fourth year.
Let’s look back. 2019 has been yet another busy year in the world of money laundering and BSA/AML. We are highlighting 12 of our most-read blog posts, which address many of the key issues we’ve examined during the past year — massive bank scandals; beneficial ownership; potential AML reform; virtual currency; cannabis and financial institutions; counter terrorism financing; money laundering prosecutions; and broad policy and social questions implicated by AML concerns.
- Corporate Transparency Act of 2019 Broadens Beneficial Ownership Reporting
- New FinCEN Cryptocurrency Guidance Provides Comprehensive Overview of BSA Application to Crypto Businesse
- Financial Services and the Marijuana Industry: The U.S. House Mulls Regulatory Reform for Financial Institutions and Cannabis-Related Businesses
- Massive Dankse Bank Money Laundering Scandal Continues to Unfold
- Art and Money Laundering
- Gold and Money Laundering
- Anti-Terrorism Act Liability Requires More than Mere Failures of Customer Due Diligence
- D.C. Circuit Rules in Favor of Broad Reach of Patriot Act Subpoenas
- FinCEN Director’s Remarks Highlight AML Regulatory Reform Efforts
- What the Basel AML Index Reveals About Global Money Laundering Risks
- DOJ Indicts Professor and Drug Trafficking Expert for Laundering Proceeds of Venezuelan Corruption Scheme
- Should the Financial Industry be Detecting Mass Shooters?
We want to thank our many readers around the world who continue to make this blog such a success. The feedback we receive from financial industry professionals, compliance officers, in-house and external lawyers, BSA/AML consultants, government personnel, journalists, and others interested in this field is invaluable, and we hope you will continue to share your perspectives with us. We pride ourselves on providing in-depth discussions of the important developments in this ever-evolving area.
We also would like to thank the other platforms that host our blog: Digital Currency & Ledger Defense Coalition, Money Laundering Bulletin, and Federal Tax Crimes.
We look forward to continuing to keep you informed in 2020. If you would like to subscribe to Money Laundering Watch, please click here. To learn more about Ballard Spahr’s Anti-Money Laundering Team, please click here.